Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why not yet?

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have not yet seen a plane crash. Why do I ask this? Well, if you recall in the earliest chapters of the book, Death claims that he has seen the "Book Thief" only three times.

"I saw the book thief three times" (5).

Then afterwards he describes the settings of where Death saw her. Going back to my original point the SECOND time he sees her is when there is a plane crash, again there hasn't been a plane crash yet. I thought originally we would se the three events equally throughout the book, but now two thirds into the book we only have seen Death encountered with Liesel once. I think that this tells us that at the very last minute things are going to ramp up immensely. The one thing that could justify this would be that Liesel, after arriving at Himmel street, has never left. Not saying that she will, but if she does, the outside world will imprint on her and there will be a higher chance that she will be to someone else who is dying, so that Death will come.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that it is Suzak's overall plan to tell us fragments of what is going to happen in the lives of the characters ahead of time, and we dont know when the present will catch up with the future. As death said, the result is not the important part of this novel, it is how we get there. I believe that it is purposeful for so much of the predictions to so far be unfulfilled because because once we reach those predictions, the plot is essentially over. If we did reach the predictions, it is also important to realize that almost all of the main characters would be dead, which greatly reduces the possibilities for the author.

    I do agree that we know in the last few chapters the action will definitely ramp up, because only so many events can happen in a certain number of pages. The current absent of fulfilled predictions is very much necessary to keep the readers interested in the novel to the very last pages.

    All that I know for sure though is that I am very interested in finding out has Suzak manages to tie together all of these events in the upcoming chapters.

    ReplyDelete